765-832-7727, ext. 3100
1. ON THE DAY A STUDENT IS GOING TO BE ABSENT, it is the responsibility of the home to contact the school. A parent or guardian should call the school between 8:00 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. We are required by law to know where all students are and why they are not in school.
2. NOTES will be required when there is no contact between the school and the home during a student absence. Bringing a note or having a parent or guardian call the school will be required; otherwise, the absence will be considered a truancy.
3. UNEXCUSED ABSENCES will be recorded if there is neither a phone call or a note within the required time. This type of UNEXCUSED ABSENCE will result in the student being assigned time in isolation and/or behavior modification to make up for the absence.
4. THE DAY FOLLOWING AN ABSENCE, the student must report to the office to turn in their parent note if their parent has failed to call.
5. If the student is absent from school for more than a ½ day, the student may not attend after-school activities without the written approval of the principal.
6. ANY STUDENT WHO LEAVES SCHOOL DURING THE DAY MUST FIRST GET PERMISSION FROM THE OFFICE BY OBTAINING A PERMISSION SLIP. Any student who leaves the school grounds during the school day without first obtaining a permission slip and signing out on the attendance log on the office counter will have their absences recorded as UNEXCUSED. Detention time or other appropriate penalty will be assigned.
7. STUDENT ERRANDS DURING THE SCHOOL DAY, other than those on campus, may not be allowed for legal reasons. Students may not leave the school grounds during the day to go after books, assignments, materials, etc. If you leave something at home, you will have to bring it the next day or parents will be called to make arrangements.
8. STUDENTS WILL NOT BE REQUIRED to get a late slip if they are late to class. They will report directly to class. Discipline measures for excessive tardiness will be the responsibility of the classroom teachers. STUDENTS WILL BE REQUIRED to get a tardy slip if they are late arriving to school. Students who arrive late to class must have a pass from a teacher; otherwise, the tardy will not be excused.
9. If a student enters the building after 8:20 a.m., they are tardy to school. The administration will assign the appropriate consequence as described in the section on student discipline.
10. Students arriving to school after 8:20 a.m. will be considered tardy to school. Three tardies to school in the same semester will result in an after school detention being assigned. Additional tardies will result in ASD and notification of the appropriate officials. This would include the office of Child and Family Services as well as the prosecutor.
a. It is the parent’s responsibility to ensure their child arrives to school on time. The corporation provides transportation to insure this. Failure by the parent to have their child in school before 8:20 does not waive the consequence for the student’s tardiness.
11. Absences Defined
a. Excused - The student will make up all missed work. The time allotted for such make up is 1 day for each missed day.
b. Unexcused - The student will make up all missed work. Administrator will administer consequences.
i. Behavior Modification - Students will be given their daily assignments and will make up all graded work which is to be counted the same as if they were in the classroom.
ii. Out of School Suspension - Students may make up all missed work. Parents may pick up work. It is due the day they return.
Definition of Perfect Attendance
A student will maintain their perfect attendance if they are here the entire school day, 8:20 a.m. to 3:20 p.m., for the entire school year.